This regional regulation categorises alcoholic beverages in accordance with their alcoholic content and prohibits their distribution and sale. It provides several exceptions to this rule:
- if the beverage contains spices, jamu (herbal medicine), or the like and is for medicinal purposes;
- 3-, 4-, or 5-star hotels;
- certain fine-dining restaurants (Tanda Talam Kencana dan Talam Seloka);
- certain places already stipulated in accordance with mayoral decrees/regulations; and
- duty free shops selling alcohol to Indonesian diplomats, foreign workers, persons going overseas, and persons arriving from overseas.
The regulation does not, however, make any reference to Islam or religion.