This fatwa states that the genetic modification of flora, fauna, and microbes is permissible (mubah), provided that such modification:
- is conducted for human benefit;
- is not hazardous for either human beings or the environment; and
- does not involve the use of human genes or other human body parts.
Genetically-modified flora is deemed halal and permitted for use, provided that it:
- is of benefit; and
- is not hazardous.
Genetically-modified fauna is halal, provided that:
- the animal is fit for human consumption;
- it is of benefit; and
- it is not hazardous.
The use of genetically-modified organisms in food, medicine, and cosmetics is halal, provided that it:
- is of benefit;
- is not hazardous; and
- does not derive from forbidden (haram) sources.